Movies I've Watched Recently

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rampo Noir Review



This movie is a compilation of 4 short films:

Mars Canal-A silent film, complete silence until the end. Running time is only 7 minutes so it's worth watching. Amazing film work with 'flickering' scenes.

Mirror Hell- This film definitely captivated my attention. Mirrors, mirrors everywhere. The mirror placement and the angle of the camera made for some incredible shots. I was particularly fond of the craftsmanship of the hand mirrors, very impressive and interesting how it's done.

Caterpillar- My opinion, the most twisted of the 4 films. This story is based on a war hero who returns home with no limbs, no ability to speak or hear, just his eyesight. His wife decides that she doesn't want to be a war hero's wife, so she starts to torture him. The sound effects are spot on in this film, no doubt.

Crawling Bugs- I was resisting the urge to scratch during this film. The story revolves around an actress and her driver. The driver has a phobia and 'allergic' reaction to any human interaction. He gets around people and he begins to scratch uncontrollably. He forms an obsession with the actress and decides to take her home with him, and the story goes from there....
I loved the theme music on this one, it reminded me a lot of the Sex and the City theme song, got a little chuckle out of me ;)


Overall, the color contrast, sound effects and camera use in this movie was incredible. You could watch the entire thing on silent (which it's all subtitled anyway) and fully appreciate the beauty of the film work. If you don't mind slightly twisted, bloody entertainment, and also having to read subtitles, go ahead and give this a go, it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. This was one of the more distracting of the movies you watched, partly because I had to actually *watch* to know what was going on, whereas with the others I could half-listen while I was reading, and partly because I was at a point where my focus was starting to drift :) Definitely agree about the sound - hugely contributed to the overall effect of the films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes subtitled films drive me nuts because I start to believe that I can understand the original language and look away...not a bad film, but I don't think it's one I would watch without someone else wanting to watch too.

    ReplyDelete